Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Preschoolers


Today was the first day of preschool for Amanda and Jack.

Jack is officially a preschooler now! He is the second youngest in the two-year old class, and he brought home a note that said he cried for the entire three hours. At first my heart broke, and then I thought - wait a minute! I looked back to this post and remembered that Jack used the same con last year! When I asked him about his day he was giggling and smiling, then when I asked if he cried he scrunched his face up in a pout and said "I kyyyyyy cause cause cause Mommy and Daddy and Manny and Viveff, I sad, I kyyyy." But his mood said otherwise, he seemed like he had really enjoyed himself. I asked him about his favorite part of school and he just kept saying "gapoo" over and over again. He finally added "gapoo...cars!" and I realized he was talking about carpool. Gapoo was my favorite part too, because Jack hopped right into his seat, Amanda buckled him in, hopped into her own seat, buckled herself, and we were off. It has NEVER worked like that before. Gapoo rocks this year!

And the most wonderful part of the first day of preschool was seeing Amanda's friend sitting in her classroom. Earlier this year this classmate was fighting for her life in the hospital. She became very sick from an E. coli infection (traced back to cookie dough) and ended up in total renal failure. She started having strokes and was in a medically induced coma to help save her tiny body. Not only did she make it through this critical state, she fought an uphill battle during rehabilitation this summer. And there she was, sitting in her chair on the first day of school. Same sweet little girl, looking like she had spent her summer on the beach. I don't even know what else to say about how amazing this kid is! Speechless.

No comments: