Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Gift of Gabba

I heard that Uncle George is unfamiliar with the quality television program Yo Gabba Gabba. It's a favorite in this house, and today we've been watching it a lot since Elizabeth is still sick. I thought I'd take a break from Lysol duty and catch George up on what he is missing...

Once upon a time a bunch of people went to a rave and started brainstorming kid show ideas. Not really, but you get the idea. The result was Yo Gabba Gabba, which I can only describe as Alice in Wonderland meets Pee Wee Playhouse. The premise is simple: DJ Lance has a magic boom box that opens to reveal toy monsters who come to life. They sing, dance, and welcome lots of bands, movie stars, and other famous folk to teach us something. Biz Markee teaches beat boxing, Devo teaches art, people like Tony Hawk show off cool tricks.

The best part is when someone comes on the show and teaches their own made-up dance move. It can make me cringe sometimes; it only works if the person isn't embarrassed to be dancing with a bunch of monsters on a magic boom box set. Hector Jimenez (from Nacho Libre) wasn't embarrassed and totally owned his dancey dance. Here it is, the jumping jellyfish...

Yo Gabba Gabba with (Hector Jimenez)

1 comment:

George said...

That is so cool I'm considering having my vasectomy reversed just so we can have another kid which would give me an excuse to watch this program...AND do the jumping jellyfish, I might add.